Bulleid's Main-line Diesel-electric Locomotives 10201 - 2
In 1946 the Southern Railway decided to build three diesel locomotives for main-line passenger service, and by 1947 the design was under way.
Much was incorporated from the pioneering work of Bulleid's earlier 'booster' electric locos.
The plate framed bogie design closely followed that of the electric locos (CC1), supported on four quadrants and featuring the same outline profile, springing and brakes, with 3' 7" diameter BFB driving wheels.
However the frames carrying the axle hung traction motors were extended to include a 3 ft 1 in diameter wheeled articulated pony truck, making a 1-Co-Co-1 arrangement.
The first two locomotives were designed and constructed at Ashford Works, although Bulleid had departed before 10201 was completed in November 1950, and 10202 in July of 1951.
Both were fitted with an English Electric 16 cylinder 1750hp diesel engine.
The exterior profile of the body matched Bulleid's own design postwar coaches, formed from metal sheets fitted over a steel section frame.
10201 was displayed at the 'Festival of Britain' exhibition of 1951 on the South Bank.
The third Ashford designed loco was assembled at Brighton, and fitted with a 2000 bhp engine, being completed in March 1954.
They were often assigned to West of England services as shown, but did not work services west of Exeter.
During 1955 all three members of the class were reallocated to the London Midland region to work alongside their two diesels, No.10000 and 10001, at a time when fuelling and maintenance of diesels was still in it's infancy.
Over time, Derby works repainted all three locos into standard locomotive green.
By the early 1960s the locos were being used less and by the end of 1963 all three were withdrawn and scrapped.
These successful locomotives formed the basis of the later English Electric Type 4 locomotives (Class 40).
The 1955 design shared the bogie arrangement, but were fitted with a developed version of the 2000 bhp engine used in 10203; and had a modified body design including bulbous nosed cabs.
These could be regarded as the first successful British mail-line diesel locomotives with 200 examples, numbered D200 - D399.
The late Cyril Carters's excellent 5 inch gauge model shown here, is driven by 6 traction motors powered by 2 batteries, and has a hand held controller.
As the prototype locomotives were 63 feet 9 inches long and 135 tons, this makes for a substantial scale model as the photos show.
Cyril finished his unique model in the early B.R. black and silver as-built livery, photographed running at the Romney Marsh club track.